February 16, 2017 |
Kai Seeks Product Designer
Kai USA Ltd. The manufacturer of Kershaw Knives, Zero Tolerance Knives and Shun Cutlery in Tualatin, OR, has an immediate opening for a Product Designer.
The primary duties of the Product Designer will be to:
- Prepare sketches of concepts, detailed drawings, illustrations, artwork, or computer-aided design of products.
- Direct and coordinate spec sheets from sketches, technical drawings, and samples.
- Modify and refine designs using computer programs to conform to customer specifications, production, limitations, or changes in design trends.
- Evaluate design ideas based on factors such as appealing appearance, design-function relationships, serviceability, materials and methods engineering, application, budget, price, production costs, methods of production, market characteristics, and client specifications.
- Integrate design, functionality and material costs into concepts based on appearance, safety, budget, production costs and marketing trends.
- Provide in-depth marketing trend reports while working alongside Marketing Manager.
- Read publications, attend showings, and consult with the company President, Product Development Manager, and Marketing Manager to establish and evaluate design concepts.
- Research and develop product lines for introduction into current and new business segments.
- Maintain and keep up-to-date an Idea Gallery in a cohesive filing process.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
The qualified candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design from four-year college or university. Recent college graduates are welcomed to apply.
- Detail orientation, creativity, and innovative thinking skills
- Ability to effectively communicate rough concepts via hand-drawn sketches
- Proficiency in SolidWorks
- A solid understanding of design and manufacturing processes
- Ability to take projects from early conceptual stages to refined design concepts that are ready for prototyping and manufacturing
- Ability to work effectively with sales/marketing teams and R&D and production teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to effectively coordinate multiple projects
- Ability to work within budget and costing of various products
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency with Adobe CS programs (Photoshop, Illustrator)
GOOD TO HAVE:
- 1-3 years of related experience and/or training
- Experience with Mastercam
© Copyright 2008-2017 The Tactical Wire. All Rights Reserved.